There are a number of steps you can take to STAY SAFE online:
- Don’t share personal information or images with people you don’t know.
- Don’t accept a friend request from someone you don’t know – not everyone online is who they say they are.
- Set privacy settings on all devices so that only people you know can view your account.
- Don’t post anything online that you are not happy to be shared, particularly nude or nearly nude images or videos. It may seem like a bit of fun with friends at the time but there is always a chance those images could be shared or get into the wrong hands and could lead to harmful situations such as stalking, abuse or blackmail.
- If someone has made you feel uncomfortable or you have had disturbing interaction online, tell police or a trusted adult. You can ring the police on 101 or for help or contact us we are always here to listen and support you.
- If you receive any inappropriate images or links, it is important that you do not forward it to anyone else. Contact police or tell a trusted adult immediately. By doing this you could help prevent further such incidents.